Sunday, January 29, 2012

Three Colors and a Glitter

Three colors and a glitter
Purple Gradient


*While not shown, I start every manicure with my Sinful Colors base coat (found at Walgreens for $2.50).  For this manicure, I used a Sally Hansen Hard as Nails top coat ($1.50 at Dollar General)


For the 'base' color, I went with a very light shade of purple.  I can't read the name off of the bottle, but it was purchased at Dollar Tree in a 2-for-1 combo pack.



Pros: It comes with a nice brush, albeit thin, that makes application quick and easy.
Cons: The polish is really sheer, so you'd need many (3-4, maybe more) layers to get the full effect of the color.


Using the end of an eyeshadow application (the kind that typically comes with a new eyeshadow), I applied a thin layer of NYC In a New York Color Minute (in "Prince Street" - $1 at Walmart) from the tip of my nails to about 3/4 of the way down.


Don't worry if it's not perfect.  That can be fixed later by the glitter layer.


After the second layer has had a chance to dry a bit, you apply the next color.  The third layer should be the darkest of the nail polishes.  I choose a deep, rich purple; Wet 'n Wild's Wild Shine (in "Eggplant Frost" - paid $1 on amazon.com). 

Pros: It has a metalic-y (and that's the technical term, lol) sheen to it that sets it apart from other dark purples.  One or two coats would be enough.  The color goes on smoothly, and with a consistency that is not too thick and not to thin. 
Cons: I have nothing bad to say about this polish.

Again, don't worry if it's not perfect.

To finish off the look, I added a glitter layer for the little extra 'oomph'.  This step is also to help blend the three colors together and make the differences not-so-obvious.  I used my current favorite, Sally Hansen's Gem Crush (in "Bejeweled" - paid $5 at Walgreens).


No two gradient manicures will look the same; That's half the fun. 



Final Verdict: For less than $10, you get a manicure that is both pretty and unique to the person wearing it.  It's my newest favorite design. 




No comments:

Post a Comment